Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Where the Boys Are

     I recently saw the film Where the Boys are (1960) and absolutely fell in love with it! It's about a group of girls (Merritt, Melanie, Tuggle, and Angie) who head down to Fort Lauderdale for spring break because, well, it's where the boys are ;)
     I'm horrible at recapping movies, so here's the link for the IMDB plot summary if you're interested in reading more about the film: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054469/plotsummary

     The ideals expressed in the movie are radically different from today's (for example, in the scene where Merritt is asked to express her views on relationships, she says that maybe sex before marriage is not a bad thing and she is sent to the dean's office where they say they will consider if she can remain in the school over spring break). It may seem absurd by today's standards, but I thought it was interesting to see how much times have changed.

     I've mentioned that I'm obsessive about 50s and 60s fashion, so this movie definitely left a lasting impression. Most of the movie takes place on the beach, which is amazing because that means plenty of classic swimwear!  Right after I saw the movie, I spent over an hour searching for photos from the film to share with you all. I may have gone a bit overboard, saving any picture I can find, but hopefully that's a good thing. I also have a trailer from the original film!

                       


The girls...


Dolores Hart as Merritt




Yvette Mimieux as Melanie





Connie Francis as Angie




Paula Prentiss as Tuggle



The Boys...

George Hamilton as Ryder

                                                                      
Tim Hutton as TV



Frank Gorshin as Basil

Where the boys are...


Merritt and Ryder

Merritt: Ryder, do you love me?
Ryder: I think so                         
Merritt: Ryder, do I love you?     
Ryder: I hope so.                        

                                     

It's really fuzzy, but you can still see how fabulous those bathing suits are!





                                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment